Left side head and neck pain may be due to a variety of reasons that stemmed from many different sources. If you compare the symptoms of pain, you can discover the source of pain and also find out the best way to make the pain stop. You may be feeling a pain in your neck at some point or another and a variety of causes are leading to this discomfort.
Human neck is included with 7 smaller vertebrae that consist of the upper torso and the base of the skull. These are made up to give support for the neck as well as perfect motion for head. Though the flexibility is needed and helpful, it can also leave you prone to injury.
When the left side of the neck is affected by a bad condition, the related muscles will tighten and leads to pain. Here we discuss about the causes of left side neck pain and how can we treat the causative conditions.
Causes of left side head and neck pain
- Muscle tension: This includes sleeping in a wrong position, overuse of neck or muscle strain, causing the neck to become stiff, numb or cause pain.
- Poor Posture: The core support system may get damaged if you sit with your neck spine bent and this can lead to neck pain.
Neck staining injuries such as accidents, sudden movement or overuse can cause damage to neck and it may become sore and stiff. Generated pain may go around and move further to the shoulders or other parts of the neck. A few important neck injuries causing neck pain are explained below;
- Whiplash Injury: A rapid increase and decrease in the body movement can cause damage to the spine. For example, a motor vehicle accident can make quick acceleration and deceleration of the body which can further lead to the left side of the neck to stiff and also shoulder and arm pain, back pain, headache, fatigue, disturbed sleep and dizziness.
- Cervical Herniated Disc: lifting heavy weights or trauma can lead the spinal column to become damaged and the fibers among the spinal column can bulge out. This can cause pain, tingling or numbness on the left side head and neck.
- Pinched Nerve: pinched nerve may be from spinal stenosis, bone spurs or a herniated disc and these can cause pain to spread down to the neck and into the left side head together with numbness or weakness in this area.
- Burners and Stingers Injury: sports injuries on left side can make the nerve roots of the area to become compressed. This further causes burning, stinging or pinching sensation on the neck that lasts for hours or days.
Ageing causes wear and tear on the neck and that leads to damage and degenerative disorders. Let’s look some important degenerative disorders;
- Cervical Osteoarthritis: This condition leads to progressive degeneration of the cartilage and makes wear and tear to bones and joints. Consequently, the body will make bone spurs in the neck which limits the range of movements and cause a unique grinding sound.
- Spinal Stenosis: Compression of neutral routes on the left side of the neck can cause numbness in the area and can spread down the arm and shoulders. Besides compression, aging, trauma, arthritis and hereditary factors can also cause spinal stenosis.
A few conditional can affect the body as a whole and that have an impact on the neck too. Certain important medical conditions include Fibromyalgia, Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis and other medical conditions such as a spinal cord tumor, Head and neck cancer, meningitis, etc.
Incoming search terms:
- neck pain left side base of skull
- pinched nerve in left lower head
- pain at base of skull left side
- pain fiber in shoulder and neck
- pain fiber on neck and shoulder left side
- pain fiber pain in shoulder and neck
- pain in left hand arm shoulder neck to base of left side head
- pain in lest part of head and neck
- pain left side neck near base skull
- reason for left side neck pain