If you are one among those who are suffering from degenerative disc disease (DDD), you already know how painful it is to live with back and neck pain.
Fortunately there are many degenerative disc disease in neck treatment options available. These may include the combination of exercises, medication and herbal therapies.
It is important to note that treatments for degenerative disc disease in the neck can vary depending on the individual needs of a patient.
Some of the most common conservative and best degenerative disc disease in neck treatment options are as follows:
7 Best Treatments for Degenerative Disc Disease in The Neck
1. A few days bed rest: Though DDD develops gradually as you age, its impacts can be enhanced by spinal trauma. A health care provider may recommend few days of bed rest so that patient can feel better relief from pain. Since the pressure on the spine and core muscles are reduced through a few days bed rest this is one of the best natural ways by which you can relieve the pain from degenerative disc disease in neck.
While relaxing just lay your face-up on a firm mattress with a pillow laid under your knees. Bed rest is however limited to 1-3 days because lying in bed for long time can induce your back muscles to weak because of inactivity.
2. Exercise: Adequate stretching along with the recommended exercises for degenerative disc disease in neck is most helpful in easing the pain. Choose an exercise program approved by your health care provider that can strengthen your core muscles in the spine, abdomen, arms and legs.
Regular exercises also helps to prevent losing of bone mass. You can also do some aerobic exercises so that your body can release endorphins -natural pain relievers that help promote overall well-being.
3. Physical therapy: Physical therapy for degenerative disc disease in neck is suggested to diminish stress on the spine and to provide short-time relief from pain. This also helps in strengthening of core muscles that support the spine, to keep further degeneration away.
Physical therapy for DDD focuses on loosening of back and neck muscles in such as way to diminish tension, stiffness and spasms. It also improve the strength and flexibility of the core muscles in order to keep the back and neck adequately supported. This treatment option might also include pool therapy, massage, applying heat and ice, posture training, bracing or electric stimulation.
4. Medication: Medicines as prescribed by your health care provider acts as an effective DDD treatment for many cases. Over-the-counter medications like aspirin and acetaminophen are effective for controlling pain at the time of injury.
Ibuprofen and naproxen are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines, helping to ease discomfort by suppressing the inflammatory response in the joints. Physician may prescribe codeine or morphine for severe pain relief. They act as a dulling anesthetic for the focal nervous system.
5. Chiropractic manipulation: This treatment option does increase motion of spinal joints, decrease inflammation and accomplish proper alignment. Chiropractor uses different types of spinal manipulation, such as flexion-distraction method, manual manipulation, trigger point therapy, instrument-driven manipulation and therapeutic massage. The type of treatment given to you may differ and is usually determined after examining the problem you have.
6. Acupuncture: Acupuncture therapy is a natural process which involves the inserting of tiny needles into particular areas of the body in order to free the body’s energy force. Some patients have tried this treatment for DDD symptoms relief and got varying levels of success.
According to the experts acupuncture must be practiced regularly for degenerative disc disease treatment. For best results, this treatment option should be used along with other forms of conservative treatment options like massage therapy and herbal therapies.
7. Surgical treatment: Surgical intervention is the last prescribed option when the patient experiences severe neck pain even after trying several weeks of conservative DDD treatments. Many advanced techniques have been invented to make surgery for degenerative disc disease in neck minimally invasive as well as to help patients achieve the relief they need.
Sophisticated surgical procedures provide patients with many benefits over typical open back surgery. This includes little incisions, lower risk, short term recovery and minimal scarring.