Pain in any form and kind is undesirable. We often find ourselves inviting some uninvited pain in our body such as sore throat and neck pain. The pain may differ from mild to tormenting. Well, when there is pain, there is always a cure. You just need to know what is going to best work for you.
Sore throats can often result in the stiff neck along with swelling and soreness in the lymph gland, which lies at the back of the throat. It may sometimes also cause ear pain which may go severe if left untreated. Some of the major symptoms of sore throat may include:
- Ear and neck pain
- Scratching at the back of throat,
- Neck tenderness
- Pain when swallowing
- Coughing and Fever
- Swollen lymph nodes
Of the many, sore throat followed by neck tenderness/stiffness or fever is considered a very serious symptom that should be treated as soon as possible.
Page Contents (Quick View)
What Causes Sore Throat?
Sore throat is generally caused by infections that are contagious. It can be a symptom of other medical disorders too. Infections due to viruses, bacteria, common cold or flu, etc can cause sore throat. Other causes of sore throat can also include:
- Virus infections, such as flu and mononucleosis. Some viruses also create blisters in the throat.
- Mouth breathing or smoking can lead to throat soreness and dryness, which may later causes sore throat.
- Infection on the adenoids or tonsils
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Chronic sinusitis and allergy
- Bacterial infections, such as Arcanobacterium haemolyticum and Streptococcus that is often find in young adults associated with a red rash.
If you experience chronic sore throat for more than 2 weeks, you should immediately consult a doctor as it can be a symptom of serious disease, such as AIDS or throat cancer.
Sore throat causes ear and neck pain in most cases and if left untreated, it can lead to other serious health issues too.
So here we discuss some of the best home remedies and treatment options for this problem.
Home Remedies for Sore Throat with Neck Pain and Stiffness
With a sore throat and stiffness in a neck, you more often run to a doctor than you would have with a cold. But being knowledgeable about the problem you have, can actually help you to deal with the problem at home.
If you are frightened at the very site of the doctor’s chamber and long prescriptions, you can find some simple solutions for yourself. You do not always need to burn big holes in your pocket.
For this, first of all you need to find out if your sore throat is flu-related or not. This can be confirmed with your having fatigue and body aches. In this case, it is advisable to avoid over-the-counter medicines as these can have an adverse effect.
Instead using Anaesthetic throat sprays can help relieve the delicate throat tissues on contact and can help you relieve the problem.
In most cases, a sore throat will run its course and dissolve on its own, except if it is a strep throat. Home remedies are mostly preferred to cure sore throat, some of them include:
Gargling with Warm Salt Water for Treating Sore Throat: Gargling is suggested in case you strictly want to stick to a home remedy. This can help you to get rid of your sore throat and neck pain in no time at all. This age-old home care is now being recommended by physicians for stiff neck and sore throat.
This can have a dramatic effect on the severity of the cold symptoms and helps you to feel better. A recent study demonstrated that gargling thrice a day results in 40 percent relief in sore throat conditions. You need to dissolve half teaspoon of salt in a glass full of warm water and gargle it for a few seconds before you spit the solution out.
Relieve Your Sore Throat by Inhaling Steam: This is another home remedy for sore throat and neck pain due to stiffness. This shrinks the swollen tissues and relieves pain in an individual. You need to take a bowl of boiling water and breathe in the steam by holding a towel over your head. The warm, moist air through the lungs can cause wonderful therapeutic effects.
Using a humidifier at home can help pain relief, especially if sore throat is due to mouth breathing dry air. Using humidifier or inhaling steam is indeed considered a simple and effective remedy for a lot of health issues. It not only is a cure for sore throat but also helps in respiratory issues while improving the circulation.
Try Out Throat Sootheners and Control on Diet: Throat sootheners like cough lozenges and menthol helps in soothing your sore throat along with ear and neck pain by providing the numbness in the throat. These also helps in avoiding the dryness of throat by increasing the saliva secretion.
Also it is recommended that you take control on your diet so that you get the problem solved early. Steamed vegetable or fruits with honey is a great recipe for soothing your sore throat and stiff neck as it does not hurt your neck while swallowing.
Applying Heat Therapy May Work for You: As such heat therapy is a great option for many types of body pain including the pain and stiffness in the throat and neck region.
You can help your ailing throat/ neck by using a heating pad or wrap the neck area with a hot air dried warm towel. Although this is not an easy option for all, you should try this easy method if you are comfortable with it.
These are only a few handful home remedies that will not empty your pocket and also do not show any side effects on your health. You may try them out before visiting to a doctor. However if the problem remains you should immediately visit your physician for all the good help.
Also Read: Can Ear Infection Cause Neck and Back Pain?
Medical Treatment For Sore Throat
The cause of sore throat has to be considered before choosing medical treatment options.
- A sore throat caused by virus infection will most of the time get dissolved by itself when the body fights. Hence, there is no specific treatment for sore throat caused by viruses.
- Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections on the adenoids and tonsils and surgery may be required for severe infections to move out adenoids or tonsils.
- Dry mouth due to smoking or mouth breathing can be treated by changing those habits or sleeping positions. Taking lozenges and mouthwash may provide pain relief.
- Sore throat due to sinus drainage can be treated using Over-the-counter nasal sprays or decongestants.
- Taking some decongestant medicines, such as pseudoepherine contained products may help for pain relief. However, persons with health issues, such as glaucoma, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc.
- Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) treatment includes taking different medications to reduce stomach acid. You should contact your doctor for effective treatment options.
- Strep throat is treated using antibiotics, such as penicillin, amoxicillin, azithromycin, levofloxacin, etc.
- Sore throat can be caused by Yeast Candida, which is treated using anti-fungal medications.
To conclude, never left a sore throat untreated because it can be a symptom of other medical disorders. So, consult your doctor before using any of these medicines or treatment options.
Neck pain – Techniques and stretches for relief of sore, tight or stiff neck
People are searching for:
- throat pain and ear pain
- sore throat
- throat pain
- सर्वाइकल पेन इन थ्रोट
- neck pain and throat pain
- neck ligament ear pain sore throat
- effects of infection in ear and neck
- ear aches and throat
- does smoking affects ear and neck region
- Can there be a link between neck ear and throat pain