Medically the neck region is called as cervical spine and it is formed by seven vertebral bones which are arranged in proper alignment in a single column. These top seven bones of the spinal region form the cervical spine which governs and protects the spinal cord from getting injured.
If this cervical vertebra gets broken or dislocated by any means then automatically the spinal cord gets into trouble which in turn may result in neurological problems like paralysis, loss of sensation in a particular upper body area, etc.
Due to this reason, the medical professionals advise to immobilize the neck immediately in case the fracture happens in the neck region.
If the spinal cord gets partially damaged because of the neck fracture then the person may get quadriplegia or loss of sensation in the arms, hands, neck, etc. If the spinal cord is damaged severely it may lead to respiratory distress which can extend to respiratory arrest and finally ends in sudden death for an individual.
Fortunately there are certain first aid treatment available which can help in avoiding the worst conditions of a neck fracture. Let us check them out below.
First Aid for Broken Neck
Some of the major first aid measures which are highly helpful in case of a broken neck are as follows:
- If the person is responsive then try to hold his or her head and neck in the same single position without unnecessary shaking or movements. This reduces the pain and further damage to the nearby structures that are present in and around the neck region.
- You should check the breathing and heart beat of the person. If the person got chocking or gasping for breath then immediate artificial breathing should be administered.
- If the person is vomiting then try to roll him/her carefully and try to provide cold application on the back of the neck and also on the epigastric region. By giving the extreme cold temperature on the epigastric region, the esophagus constricts wand stops the vomiting instantly.
- Don’t bend or twist the person’s head or body as it will cause further complications.
- Don’t move the person from place where he/she is lying till the medical emergency reaches the spot. In case of absolute necessity you can shift the person with full safety measures. Extreme care is needed to handle the head and neck region.
By following the above major first aid measures you can easily safeguard the person’s head and neck and avoid severe consequences like paralysis or death.
People are searching for:
- first aid for broken neck
- first aid Treatment for broken neck
- fracture of neck first aid
- neck bandage for broken neck
- neck broken first aid for players